This buttery herb flavored chicken dish is made entirely in one pot and cooked entirely in the oven. It’s quick, fast & easy with great taste and flavor. If you are a tired Mom looking for a quick meal to feed the kids or a Bachelorette looking for a quick meal that you can spread out for dinner, lunch and dinner then this meal is for you. Such a great chicken and rice dinner than you can leave as it or tweak at your leisure. Enjoy!
One Pot Oven baked Chicken & Rice
This Chicken & rice recipe is made entirely in the oven! Buttery garlicky rice topped with baked chicken thighs with a yummy seasoning crust. The small thing that makes this dish pop is to “oven sauté” to onion and garlic before adding the rice and chicken. The rice is sooooo good!
- 5 chicken thigh fillets, bone in, skin OFF (Note 1)
1 onion, chopped (brown, white or yellow)
2 cloves garlic (large), minced
2 tbsp/ 30 g butter (or olive oil)
1 1/2 cups / 270 g long grain white rice (Note 3)
1 1/2 cups / 375 ml chicken broth/stock
1 1/4 cups / 312 ml water, hot (tap is fine)
- Preheat oven to 350F.
Scatter onion and garlic in a baking dish (about 10 x 15″ / 25 x 35 cm), then place butter in the centre. Bake for 15 minutes (check at 12 minutes, mix if some bits are browning too much).
Meanwhile, mix together Chicken Rub. Sprinkle on both sides of the chicken.
Remove baking dish from the oven. Add rice then mix.
Place chicken on rice. Then pour chicken broth and water around the chicken.
Cover with foil, then bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil, spray chicken with oil (optional), then bake for a further 20 minutes until liquid is absorbed.
Stand for 5 minutes, then remove chicken and fluff up rice. Garnish with parsley if desired, serve and enjoy!
If scaling recipe up, use multiple pans. If scaling recipe down, use a smaller pan. Scale recipe using slider – click on Servings.
1. Drumsticks will also work great with this, no need to remove the skin and no change to cook time or temp.
If you make this with boneless skinless thigh fillets or breast, put the rice in the oven covered with foil WITHOUT chicken. Bake for 30 minutes per recipe, then remove pan, take foil off, top with chicken then return to oven (no foil) for a further 20 – 25 minutes or until liquid in the pan is absorbed, per recipe.
2. Lemon Pepper Seasoning, Italian Herb Mix – just use what you have.
3. This recipe is best made with long grain rice because it’s less sticky than short and medium grain. Basmati and jasmine will also work – around the same cook time. For brown rice, leave it covered for 45 minutes then bake uncovered 15 – 20 minutes until rice is tender.
This recipe is NOT suitable for Minute Rice, Risotto or Paella Rice.
4. This recipe makes 5 very generous servings! The nutrition assumes all the rice is consumed which it may not be